Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Marching On

March 23-29

SUNDAYWe had Church as usual and the went to the Memorial to open up.  Shortly thereafter Osborn’s come back from their talking assignment and took over so we headed back to the apartment.  There wasn’t much excitement the rest of the day so I spent most of the rest of day watching NCAA basketball games on TV.   
MONDAYI had an interesting tour just before the starting time for FHE.  It was a young man from California who claimed to be an atheist.  He hurried so fast through the first part of the visitor center I hardly got to explain anything.  If I would start to talk, he would move on to another picture or something else.  When we finally got into the Meditation room, he started asking lots of questions about things of the Church.  Before long, he made the comment that I seemed like a very knowledgeable guy.  That made me feel quite good.  I even feel  I made some positive impact.  We had to agree to disagree on a few matters but I had a chance to bear my testimony about the truthfulness of the Gospel and the Prophet Joseph Smith.  Family Home Evening went quite well and the people are starting to stay longer and visit with each other which is a good thing for most of them.  Several of them don’t have any contact with the outside world except for Church sponsored activities.   I got home to watch parts of the BYU women basketball game on TV.  They are going to the sweet sixteen with their win.   
TUESDAYIt was finally warm enough that I took a walk this morning.  It was still quite cold but I managed.  After walking, I got out the bucket and washed the car, it was so filthy.  I knew it was cold as the wet wash glove would stick to anything metal it touched.  Not much unusual happened for our shift at the Memorial.  We hurried home and made candy popcorn for the students at institute.  We were on our way when Kelsey called and said not to pick her us as she wasn’t feeling too good.  When we arrived, we waited and waited for students to come and soon decided that none were going to make it.  I tried to call Wilma (who is late due to another meeting) but no answer so we had to just sit and wait a while longer.  Finally Wilma came and we visited and shared our popcorn and were just starting to leave when we met Stuart Brown in the hallway.  We shared our popcorn with him in the hallway and soon headed for home, arriving back home an hour earlier than usual.  After waiting so long, I was out of the mood to give a lesson and this way I won’t have to prepare another lesson for another week.
WEDNESDAY -   More tuna fish sandwiches for lunch today on our all day activity at the Memorial.  By noon I am thankful for the tuna fish as I am always ready to eat lunch.  We had a few visitors which always helps break up the day.    
  
THURSDAY -    Today for our “P-day” we took a ride.  We headed up I-89 and got off the highway towards Barre.  We kinda got lost but found a Big Lot store that we had been to before so it all worked out good.  We made our way to the Cabot cheese processing plant and had an interesting tour.  It is really a big scale operation.  From there we went to Pres. Goodrich’s (counselor in mission presidency) maple farm.  We saw his big fancy “distiller” to reduce the maple sap to usuable Maple Syrup but unfortunately, the sap isn’t running yet so we told him we would try and come back later and watch the operation.  From there we went on the highway via St. Johnsbury down I-91 to West Lebanon where we did some quick shopping.  We were on quite a whirlwind trip as I had to be at the Church to help serve for the Relief Society birthday celebration dinner at 6:00pm.  After a quick clothes change, we arrived at the Church to find that most of the cooking still needed to be done for the dinner so that is how I spent most of my time.  Towards the end, I was still preparing dessert while the main course was being served.  I took a quick chance to eat a plate of food and then went to the nursery to watch the kids while those who were in the nursery could go eat.  All I did in the nursery was sit on a chair and talk to a couple of the fathers who were there with their own kids.  When the meeting broke up, I headed for home without checking back to the kitchen.  Once home I saw a couple of good NCAA sweet sixteen games on TV. 
FRIDAY -    Even though it was still cool, the sun came out so I went for a walk up in the mountains first thing this morning.  I was glad I went early as it started to rain before we went to the Memorial.   As soon as we got to the Memorial there were several cars already there and another once came shortly.  What we thought was to be a busy day, soon faded out as no other cars came the rest of the day.  Somewhere along the line I got feeling like I had missed a meal or two as I was sure hungry when we finally got home, I guess it must have been the walk.  Anyway, after some good cheese sandwiches, etc. I settled down to watch a couple of really close, exciting NCAA games.  My tourney bracket is almost completely broken but it is still fun to watch.   
Connecticut girls with Elders
Parents from Connecticut


SATURDAY -   Elder Osborn wanted a haircut today so I did that first thing after we got the center opened and the flags out.   It was a blustery, windy day but in spite of the weather we had two rather large groups.  The first group of 10 had several kids which had been in the car for a few hours so about all they wanted to do was run and play in the snow.  Other than that the parents were very interested not having been in this area before.  The other group from Connecticut, was a family where the parents were not members but two daughters were LDS and were talking about going on a mission.   Osborn's had prepared some sandwich materials for a light lunch and invited the guests and us to stay so we had a good visit with everyone.  Once home, I got involved in tennis matches and NCAA basketball games (BYU women vs. Connecticut) so I just stayed put while RSO went to W. Lebanon shopping.   I hadn’t lost anything to shop for and I am sure we both enjoyed the time better that way.  When RSO got home, she decided to just watch the Women’s Conference from SLC on TV rather than go to the Church.  The only sad part is that I heard she missed a good meal prior to the meeting. 





No comments:

Post a Comment