June 16-30
 |
| Showing our Float with Pres. & Sister Stoker |

SATURDAY
Morning
came before I was ready but we were scheduled to open the Memorial this
morning.
The first thing I did was
vacuum the home as they were getting ready for a Senior Missionary dinner at
noon.
As soon as I finished with the vacuum,
people started arriving for tours.
Mixed
in between the tours was an “interview” or just talk with the Mission
President.
President Stoker is really a
good, understanding man.
It was great to
just visit with him for a while.
Once
the Seniors started arriving for the dinner, so did the guests so I didn’t get to
visit much nor did I get to eat my dinner with them.
I ended up taking my plate of food to the
apartment about 4:00pm and eating part of it there.
 |
| I designed the banner for the back of the float |
 |
| Elder Mooney, Wilsons, Polls |
 |
| Skidmores, Pettingills, Mooneys |
 |
| Egans & Makensie, Pres. Stoker (back of Sis. Campbell) |
 |
| Makensie, Stokers, Harmons |
 |
| Osborns, Polls, (back of Likes) |
Shortly after, we headed
grocery shopping via Quechee to see the balloon festival.
There were no balloons so we just drove on
for the groceries.
After getting our
groceries and our stop at Wendy’s we headed for home.
MISSIONARY BLESSING
Just as we were to turn on to the freeway,
we were hit from the car behind.
A 15
yr. old girl was driving with her mother and just ran into the back of us.
It sent us for a jolt forward.
Luckily there weren’t any cars ahead of us and
none turning onto the freeway.
The car had a couple of places where the paint was scraped off.
We were certainly blessed as it could have
been so much worse.
The mother thanked me for being so calm with her daughter who was
in tears and could hardly talk.
SUNDAY
-
Sacrament meeting at 10:00am.
I
was just sitting there when the organist came and asked me to lead the music
for sacrament meeting.
The organist
(Sister Doyle) got sick and Rhonda ended up playing the closing song.
The Relief Society president made a
7oz chocolate milk shake in recognition of Father’s Day, kinda nice and
thoughtful.
From the Church we went
directly to the Memorial and opened for the afternoon.
For several hours there was a steady stream
of visitors who came to visit with us.
Then a little lull and then as usual, a “swarm”
(if I counted right there were 5 groups) who
showed up the last 45 minutes of the day so we were quite late in getting home.
All of
our children checked in by phone and wished me a Happy Fathers Day.It was good to hear from all of them.
We have certainly been blessed with a good
family.
 |
| Played the accordion for FHE "sing-along" |
MONDAY
- Once
we got to the Memorial there was a steady flow of visitors.
That kept us pretty well busy until time for
family home evening.
There were 35 of us
here for that so we had a room full.
Sometimes I wonder if there is going to be enough food to go around but
it always works out.
 |
| Trish Hawkins brought her girls for a visit. |
TUESDAY - We had over 25
visitors come during our shift which kept us busy most of the day, especially
in the early part.
One of the visitors
who I took on a tour said he had been the Executive Secretary to the Area
Authority of the New England Area for 17 years.
He was never able to talk them into holding their meetings at the JSBM.
When I took his family down to the old
foundations he said it was like “Heaven” to get to see all the early history of
the Church in this area.
He was a large
guy but very humble and grateful.
Mixed
in with the tours, Rhonda did her weekly teaching of Sara Dunkle on the piano.
 |
| The kid-size bag works alright--just a little top heavy |
WEDNESDAY
-
Our morning shift started right of with several visitors.
Trish Hawkins from A.F. (Beverly Meyers daughter) came by. She lived in New Hampshire for several years but has just moved to Virginia. After getting home we
decided to go shopping so we could do other things tomorrow.
We even went shopping at “Listen”(comparable
to our DI). Rhonda bought a kid's golf bag (only choice) for her few clubs that we brought out.
It was such a nice day we decided to hit a few golf balls out on our grass before dark.



THURSDAY
I got up fairly early and decided to rotate the left side of the car
tires as the back one is wearing on the outside corner.
After that, I went to the Memorial to our garden to
weed.
I weeded about as much as I dared
as some of the veggies are not big enough to dig around them yet.
Later, we
decided to drive to a place called Texas Falls.
It was kind of a neat place and it was
amazing how the water had washed various whirlpools as it would swirl around
the rocks.
From there we backtracked to
the White River Golf Course between Rochester and Killington.
 |
| Hole #6 with the WHITE RIVER behind the Tee |

We got there just after 4:00pm which started
their twilight hour so we paid for 1 round and got to golf two rounds.
It was kind of a hard course and we were
walking.
So after the first 9, we were a
little tired but decided to go again and look for Rhonda’s watch which she discovered
she had lost.
She thought it was on the
1
st tee but we were not able to locate it so we played 6 holes and
by then we were near the club house and very tired so we decided to call it
quits.
These 15 holes took us three
hours.
The course reminded us of
Wasatch State Park as we were about the only ones on the course and lots of
trees, etc.
I left a card at the club
house with our phone number on it in case someone would find the watch and turn
it in.
FRIDAY
-
I hadn’t been up very long before my phone rang and it was the guy at
the golf course saying he had Rhonda’s watch.
Blessed again! I took a short
walk and then spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon washing and
ironing.
I decided to wash my Temple
clothes.
Pressing all those pleats was a
little different but I managed to make it.
We had the afternoon shift at the Memorial
and happened to drive in right behind a car of visitors.
Starting with those people and for most of
all the rest of the afternoon, we were kept busy greeting and escorting
visitors through the Memorial.
I wore a
short sleeve shirt to work for the first time.
However, the
evening was cool, even had to put on a sweat shirt to sit around the house.
SATURDAY
We had the morning shift and there were people waiting for us to open up
as we arrived.
Several groups came
before the Spanish contingent.
(A group
from a Spanish speaking ward in MA, about 35 people in the group).

Rhonda directed the tour thru an interpreter
so she had to improvise a little but did a great job of giving them the
essential facts and story of the monument.
The missionaries said that over half of the group were non-members.
It was
back to the long sleeves today and in the evening, I put on the sweat shirt again
to just sit around the apartment.
SUNDAY
- Today was our Sunday off
at the Memorial.
Rhonda had to play the
organ and accompany the special musical number as well.
Then she had to teach the Sunbeam class in
primary.
They keep her busy with all her
talents.
After lunch, we relaxed for a
while then took a walk.
It felt so good
to be out that we decided to go for a little relaxing drive in the car.
We drove through some beautiful back
roads.
There were “farm stands” along
the way and I would figure they were so far from the “beaten path” than no one
would find them.
One thing for certain, it sure is beautiful
country
!
Sister Osborn gave me the book
Joseph
Smith, Rough Stone Rolling as she just finished reading it.
It is pretty long with small print and is
hard to read but I will give it a go.
 |
| The flowers add such color and beauty to the site! |
 |
| The newly-planted flowers and beautiful peonies |

MONDAY
- Today I hardly had
time to do anything except give tours of the Memorial.
Several large groups came as well as the
individuals/small groups.
I missed everything of
the family home evening except the eats.
By the time it was time for dinner, it was well passed time to close the
Memorial but we never close if there are people here to see/listen even if it
is past closing time.
We were quite late
getting home.
We did
receive another
MISSIONARY BLESSING today.
While Rhonda was out taking pictures of the Spring Flowers around the monument, she somehow fell backwards off one
of the steps and fell flat on the walk way to the Monument.
Apparently Elder Harman saw her fall and
rushed over to assist her.
We were
blessed as she didn’t get any large bruises or cuts and she was able to bounce
right back up and was OK.

TUESDAY
- I got up earlier than usual and watched a
little of Wimbledon on TV before going for my walk.
The afternoon shift was pretty slow
today.
It seems like a dismal day
outside and I guess not much is stirring.
WEDNESDAY -
We are on our usual early shift
today. Once we got home and had lunch, it started a light rain. We were supposed to go golfing with the
Harman’s. When they got home, Kent came
over and said he was game if I was so we decided to at least go and see (Rhonda & Tammy were not game). If nothing else, we could pick up Rhonda’s
watch. Once we got to White River and
picked up the watch, it was raining pretty good but Kent wanted to give it a
try so we headed out. They were supposed
to have league later on and some of the guys had gone early and picked up their
golf cart so all that was available was the “convertible” variety. Before too long we were soaked to the bone
but still having fun so we kept going.
At the end of the first nine we checked in and the owner said the league
was cancelled so we could play any holes we desired. So, we played another round plus an extra
hole. I must say, after you get soooooo
wet, you can’t get any wetter. My club
grips got pretty slippery but in spite of the weather, we had a great time! Surprisingly
enough, I was even playing quite well. We didn’t get home until dark and it took a
while to get dried out. Everything we took was
completely soaked and is taking a while to dry out. Too bad Rhonda and Tammy missed all the
fun!!
THURSDAY - Spent most of the morning watching the
tennis recordings I had missed. After noon,
we headed out in the car driving on the back roads toward Barnard, VT. All of a sudden out in the middle of nowhere,
we were stopped on a one lane road.
There were a couple of ambulance vehicles ahead of us and soon the State
Trooper passed us by. We eventually saw a couple of pedal bikes (front tires bent in a
figure eight shape) being loaded into a pickup truck. I
didn’t find out more than that. The guy
that stopped us on the road wasn’t very nice so I didn’t dare ask many
questions. We eventuall arrived at the
Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller Museum, Farm and Rockefeller Mansion-- part of the
National Park System. We walked around the
grounds for a while before moving on. Our
travels then took us to the Sugarbush Maple Farm. (Wrong time of year for Syrup). About
the only thing they did with the cheese is cut it and then wrap it in their own
label. It was processed elsewhere as
part of the co-op. They had a few animals
outside in some pens but nothing too interesting. After that, we finally made it to W. Lebanon
and did our grocery shopping for the week.
It was nearly 7:00pm when we finally got home.
FRIDAY -
Today marks the 170th anniversary of the Martyrdom of the
Prophet Joseph Smith. Saw some early
tennis on TV then for my morning walk and back in time to watch a couple of the
tennis matches I wanted to see. Once we
got to the Memorial, they had been busy all morning and continued for a while.
Then things tapered off until the end of the day (as usual).
SATURDAY -
Osborn’s asked us to change to the afternoon shift today. We started off
busy and seemed to stay that way the rest of the afternoon. I had one interesting thing happen during
one of the tours. I was explaining about
Joseph’s leg operation when a little eight year boy just blacked out and fell
backwards flat on the floor. His Dad
broke his fall and was at his side and he soon recovered and was OK. One
of the reasons Osborn’s asked us to change was they had invited the Olado and
Oparowski families for dinner as well as us.
As usual, we were on shift and visitors came so most of the party went
on without me. By the time I finally got
to my dinner (warmed in the microwave) I was more than ready for it. It was a delicious dinner but the visitation
lasted too long for me. It was after
9:00pm when we finally got back to the apartment.
 |
| Spring planting is finally done. It is going to be exciting to watch the colorful flowers take hold and spread! |
No comments:
Post a Comment