September 15-30
Fall is definitely in the air. It is hard to face the fact that summer is nearly over. The mums are looking nice and the beauty of this site is always amazing.
![]() |
| It is always inspiring to be with the young missionaries! |
![]() |
| Multi-Zone Conference with Elder & Sister Wilson |
![]() | |
| JSBM Senior Couple Missionaries |
The last parade of the summer in Bethel - Sept. 20
Elijah and Alyssa Hopkin Concert (opera singers performing Christ-theme song)
Halen's Baptism - September 27
MONDAY (Sept. 15) -- I guess I
was tired as I was a little later than usual in getting up. Took a short walk to the post office and did
some washing in preparation for the upcoming weeks activities before going to
the Memorial for the afternoon shift.
Things started off quite busy but fell off just before the start of
FHE. There was a nice group in
attendance and the food was great so we had a good night.
TUESDAY -- We had to do a little
switching as the Osborn’s had Dr. and Dentist appointments so today was our all
day at the Memorial. It was a rainy
morning to start off the day so that put a damper on the number of visitors to
the Memorial which makes the days even longer.
At the end of the day we decided just to stay at the Memorial as all
Senior Missionaries were to meet at 7:30pm to meet with Pres. Stoker and Elder
Larry Wilson of the 2nd Q of the 70.
It was nice to talk to them and we had a good visit but since we didn’t
get home until 10:00pm it made the day even longer. WEDNESDAY -- All the missionaries in this zone met at the
memorial at 8:30am for a zone picture with Elder and Sister Wilson prior to
going to Zone Conference at the Chapel.
Rhonda and I were the ones who had to hold the “fort” down so we missed the
morning talks and activities. Osborn’s
came back after their lunch and said to hurry down to the Church and get some
lunch ourselves. We hurried but by the
time we got there, they had turned the Elders loose for seconds so much of the
menu items were already gone.
We were going to stay for the afternoon meetings but they soon broke up
into districts but all our “district” (senior missionaries) had left the
meeting and we had no one to meet with so we lift also. We took a little ride through some back roads
and then back to the Memorial but by then our shift was over so we visited
with the Osborn’s for a while and headed for home. In the evening, Elder Harman came over to
talk golf. We had just made a
reservation for tomorrow at Randolph and he wanted to go so I added him to the
reservation. We (the guys) then decided
to go for a quick 9 hole outing at the course in Windsor. I didn’t play very good but we had fun anyway
even if we didn’t get home until dark.
THURSDAY -- We did some washing and
ironing early this morning then decided to go to town and pick up a few
supplies for the coming week. We got
back to the apartment just in time to head to the Montague golf course in
Randolph. Elder Harman didn’t end up
going after all --just Rhonda and I and we had a great
time! There were not many other people
on the course. It was a little cool and
breezy but we still had fun. From the
golf course, we went to the Memorial and with Elder Russ Wilson’s help, covered
the garden as they are predicting freezing temperatures tonight. Rhonda decided to go to RS and then practice
the piano at the Church for a while so I just stayed at the apartment.
FRIDAY -- I was back at the
Memorial before 8:00am this morning as there was a tour bus of Temple worker
from England that wanted to come early and they had asked for two tours and a
movie all at the same time so the Osborn’s ask me to come help them for a
couple of hours. I let Rhonda off at the
Church to practice her music for the opera singers (Hopkins) performances on
Sunday. We got back home about 10:30 and
by then I was ready for breakfast. I
ended up doing some “book” work and just putting in my time until we went back
to the Memorial for our afternoon shift.
One of the couples I took arrived on their Harley. We had a good discussion and he gave me some
sayings and a cross but when I told him I would get him a B of M he decided it
was time for them to drive away.
SATURDAY -- We were scheduled for
the morning shift but there was a parade in Bethel, VT and Elder Osborn was
pretty insistent on having the accordion music so after we got the balloons
inflated, Rhonda and Sister Osborn went to the parade and Elder Osborn and I
“held the fort down”. When the parade
was over, Rhonda and I did the Memorial until about 3:00pm when we finally went
to the apartment for some lunch so I just stayed there and watched the BYU
football game on TV. Rather than watch
the game, Rhonda went to the Church and practiced music to accompany the opera
singers tomorrow. She didn’t get back
home until after 10:00 pm.
SUNDAY -- We went to the Memorial
so Rhonda could practice with the guests before sacrament meeting. After meeting, they needed more practice so I
just came to the Memorial and did tours for people who kept coming during the
remainder of Church. We were scheduled
to be on duty the rest of the day but it ended up I gave most all of the tours
while Rhonda practiced with the opera guests.
(Elijah and Alyssa Hopkin) Right
after our Church block all the young single adult ward from Boston converged on
the Memorial. There were over 50 of them
and they were going every which direction and I was the only one so most of
them just wandered around visiting with their friends for an hour or so. The music concert started at 5:00 so just
before that time, more people kept coming and I couldn’t keep straight who was
coming to the concert and who was here to visit the Memorial. I heard the concert was good but I didn’t get
to see or hear much of it as there were non-members who wanted to see in the
visitor center and I was the one on call.
MONDAY -- Once
we hit our afternoon shift we were on the go.
I am thinking that after the frost last Friday morning, the leaves are
turning quickly and the “leaf peepers” must know it as we are going almost
continuously. Something must be
happening as we didn’t have as many people to FHE as usual, we even got to the
apartment at a more manageable time for the evening.
TUESDAY -- Walk, etc. as we had
another casual morning. We didn’t even
get to the office before Elder Osborn called me and ask me to come take the
rest of his tour so he could start the missionary meeting. As usual, I didn’t get to much of the meeting
as visitors just kept coming. In the
midst of visitors, the new Elders who are going to start working in this area arrived
so we had to give them a little orientation as well. In the late evening when things started to
quiet down, Rhonda took the steamer to Camp Joseph and did some cleaning for
the Wilson’s who are expecting company shortly.
She was a while getting back so I had a chance to visit with Jeff, the
New England FM supervisor. WEDNESDAY -- We were back to the Memorial early for one
of our all day affairs. We started off
the morning with a 9:00am bus tour.
Osborn’s were gone with his brother for a couple of days so it was up to
Rhonda and I. The trick was that they
wanted a guided tour in both rooms and also a movie at the same time. We were able to get it all worked out and I
feel we were able to give them the experience they wanted. There were 53 people on the bus so it kept us
hopping. We also had a couple of
visitors who came during the bus tour which we just had join in as we
progressed through the rooms and then caught them up at the end so it all
worked out OK. It didn’t seem like we
had much down time until at least 5:00pm.
Once home I quickly fixed some spaghetti and fresh tomatoes
from our missionary garden, delicious!
After a quick pause to relax, we vacuumed the apartment and did some
cleaning so Harman’s and their family can use our apt. while we are gone to
Halen’s baptism. I did spent quite a
while trying to figure out a suitable and workable flight plan to get to the
baptism.
THURSDAY -- Here
we are all day again as Osborn’s are still away. We had several groups come but not as hectic
as yesterday. We had the FM missionaries
in and out all morning as they are getting ready to have a “good-bye” dinner
for the Egan’s who will be returning to Utah in the morning. It was a simple but delicious steak dinner
and a good time to be with old/new friends as all the FM office was also here
including the new elders and the sisters.
This is about the first time I have not had to leave the “party” to go to
the visitor center. There were a couple
of drive-thru’s but no one stopped.
Things were not as busy as yesterday and we even had the sisters here to
help us. As a result, we each made a
trip or two to the garden trying to get a little ahead in case it freezes while
we are gone to Utah tomorrow. Once home,
we did more cleaning and washing as Harman’s have family coming and are going
to use our apartment. We finally got
around to packing so I had a few hours to get a little sleep.
FRIDAY --
We were up early and on the road to the Manchester NH airport by 6:00am. We made arrangements to park at the Best
Western motel and then shuttle to the airport for a 9:00am flight to
Detroit. When we left home there were 14
extra seats to get to Utah. Once in
Detroit, we looked and the computer showed a -2 seats. We called Randy and he had been looking but
said to wait it out as there was nothing any earlier. We found out that there was a tower fire in
Chicago so planes were being diverted to
all near-by airports and then the people were being re-routed so guess that is
what happened to the extra seats.
Eventually, we were the only two people left in the waiting area so they
called our name and we got a seat. I
assume some of the people who were previously scheduled weren’t able to make
their connections and so some additional seats opened up. We were thankful for them and were on our Way
to Utah. Once in Utah, we located our
checked bags so we were really loaded down to get on trax and then the bus and
finally to Nyra’s garage where we picked up the little white Honda. We hated to say good-bye to the garage but
Christy and Brad need it to store some of their things as they are combining
their assets. A quick stop to Wendy’s
then on to Sargent Steam to pick up the steamer Rhonda arranged for the
Harman’s. From there we went to Blake
and Allison’s so Rhonda could get a haircut.
This is her first cut since we were there in January. We then went to Rhett’s and saw all his
family for a quick visit (Rhett was officiating a football game so we missed
him) A quick stop to Costco for cheese
and other staples to take back to Vermont.
Sounds funny but we like Utah cheese better than the Vermont variety
even in the cheese “capital” of the U.S. as they say. We finally made our way to the cabin to check
out the problem there (mouse, rat, squirrel or whatever droppings plus
countless dead flies as well as live box elder bugs flying and crawling all
over the place. Rhonda worked on them
for a while but I was tired and soon hit the bed. SATURDAY --
We were up at 6:00am again and on the road driving to St. George as
there were no flight spaces available.
Another quick stop at Costco for some pumpkin pies for lunch as as some
gas and then straight to Randy’s where I cut his hair before they headed to the
baptism. RSO and I got the other 2 kids
ready and met them at the Church for the baptismal service. It was a very nice baptismal and Halen looked
very handsome in his new suit. Halen
asked me to be one of the witnesses at his baptism which I consider an
honor. After the confirmation, we all
met at Randy’s for lunch. Rhonda and I
were the only ones from Randy’s side of the family so we were really glad we
were able to attend. After a short visit
with the Simkins’ we headed out and made a quick stop to see John Lemm to ask
about some of the droppings and find out what our possibilities were to curb
the problem. Possibilities are not good
until we get the insulation fixed under the bottom of the cabin. From there we took a drive by past our house
and then headed up the road towards the cabin.
We made a quick detour in Mona to visit Kevin and Janice for a minute
and to see if Kevin is doing any better with his back problems. (Some slight improvement but sure slow) Once
we got to the cabin I was pooped and went straight to bed.
SUNDAY --
The calendar may say it is Sunday but it feels like I have already had
several Sunday’s this week but today turned out not to be one of them. We sluffed Church and it sure didn’t feel
like Sunday as I spent all day primarily working outside doing many things I
felt needed to be done. Things like
start all three vehicles, some of them had to have batteries charged and gas
primed in the carburetor. I also started
all the recreational vehicles so they should all make it until we get home in
March. I also spent some time mowing all
the lawns, first with my old DI mower around the perimeters and then with the
good mower on all the parts of the lawns.
It is still very frustrating that the ground is so much clay that every
step either leaves you slipping and sliding and also that it cakes so bad you
can hardly move about. LeIla came and brought us some lunch and we had a visit
with her. Misty, David and family also
came for a good visit. It was nice to
see all of them again. David helped me
do some things outside that I was having a hard time doing by myself so I was
thankful for his help. Rhonda spent
almost all her day cleaning up dead bugs and trying to clean up after some “critter”
that gets into the cabin somehow and messes all over the floor and around. Randy called about 5:00pm and said that the
midnight flights weren’t going to work out so we wouldn’t be leaving until
early in the morning. From that point,
my agenda quickly slowed down and about the only thing I accomplished from then
until bedtime was re-organize the mud room as I replaced the wall panels,
cleaned up the messes in the mud room, and moved the cupboards back
inside. I finally cleaned up and said
that is enough work so I just sat around and tried to watch TV over the antenna
as Scott had had to re-do his Direct TV
and our unit was disconnected.
MONDAY --
We got up and going at 5:10am hopefully on our way back to Vermont. We locked up and drove to Scott’s and he
delivered us to the airport on his way to work.
Randy scheduled us a trip that avoided some of the major airport
hubs. Basically, our trip went from SLC
to St. Louis MO, to Laguardia NY and finally to Manchester NH. We ended up spending about as much time in
airports as it took us to make the trip but we finally arrived in NH. We took the hotel shuttle and got our car and
by then we knew we were going to make it so we headed into town to get some
food. We finally made it to our
apartment in VT at 12:50am Tuesday morning.
We were soon to bed and thankful to be back.
TUESDAY --
We were a little tired from all the travel so we spent a little extra
time trying to get rested. We realized that we were out of milk and a few
of the staples so we made a quick trip to the grocery store in W. Lebanon. Got ready and came to the Memorial for our
afternoon shift as usual. We were fairly
busy with guests but one in particular I will remember. He was a Mr. McMullen from Burlington. He was in a tour with two member couples but
was really paying attention to the movie and the tour. After going to the Memorial, (and Mr.
McMullen not too close) one of the members said that if we had some water we
could baptize him right now. He accepted
a B of M and took the challenge to read as well as gave me his name, address,
and phone number to have the missionaries call on him. It is on occasions like this that you are
really glad to be serving a mission and especially in this sacred spot.












No comments:
Post a Comment