SUNDAY -
I was not feeling very good so I spent almost
all day in bed.
I don’t think I have
slept so much in a single day since I was in the hospital or something like
it.
I didn’t go anyplace or do anything
all day. Rhonda spent a while at Misty's searching for flight options back to Vermont.
We were hoping to take the
“Red-eye”
flight to Detroit but with the
weather problems they were having in the East, the prospects didn’t look good
so we abandoned the idea and just stayed in the cabin.
The computer just didn’t show any seats with
every flight in the minus numbers as a result of the cold and storm in the
Northeast.
MONDAY
-
Still not feeling the best but decided to try and get up.
I took one bite of a maple donut and a tooth
with a root canal spike came right out.
I called David Hansen’s office and hurried there.
The tooth was broken in half so there wasn’t
much to be done except pull the tooth.
Rhonda also had x-rays because she has a tooth that has troubling but nothing to
do until after we complete our mission.
We stopped to see LeIla again before going on to Blake Christensen’s so
Rhonda could get her haircut.
I checked
flights but everything was still showing up either zero or minus
numbers so we went back to the cabin.
We
tried to check flights again on RSO’s tablet but no luck.
I finally gave up and watched tennis and the
BCS championship football game on TV.
It
at least had an exciting finish.
TUESDAY
--
We got up earlier than we wanted too but
decided that we had to go to the airport and at least wait out a couple of
flights to see if they were all going out full.
We decided to try for a seat to Detroit at 11:14.
We soon found out that the flight had been
delayed until 1:11 so we went and visited with LuAnn for a while to pass
time.
We dropped the car off at Diamond
parking, having previously left Christy Nielson a key with the hope that if we
did get on a flight, she could recover the car for us and if not on a flight,
we would have transportation to go back to the cabin.
We did finally make the flight.
Once we landed in Detroit, things were really
a mess.
The flight to Burlington was
cancelled so we tried for New York.
When
we went to the gate to Laguardia, NY they were loading
a plane that was supposed to have left three
hours earlier.
The next flight was in 3
more hours and they said they weren’t taking anymore standby names and they had
more than enough to fill the plane.
So,
we just sat down to wait a while.
The
Laguardia line kept getting shorter and shorter and they kept calling names,
then more names.
Finally we decided to
go over and see what was happening.
Two
ladies in front of us ask us where we were going and we said to NY and they
said to go ahead of them as they were waiting for the next
plane.
Soon the ticket guy looked up and asked who was going to NY.
We immediately said we were .
He took our passes and said to hurry.
We found our seats but the flight attendant
took Rhonda’s bag and said it wouldn’t fit under the seat so she would take
it.
Hurry and sit down so we could get airborne.
Soon the flight attendant returned and gave a
piece of paper to Rhonda with a checked bag number on it.
Rhonda told her we had a quick turn-around
and she said too bad, we would have to go out of security and to baggage claim
to get the bag.
We were stressed.
Soon it was past time for the flight from
Laguardia NY to Burlington to leave so we figured we would have to wait it out
in the airport for the night.
The person
in the seat next to me ask about our flight and he checked on his smart phone
and said it had also been delayed and that if we hurried we may still make
it.
On landing, we pushed through the
aisle and found a flight attendant at the top of the jet-bridge.
He looked at the flight to Burlington and
said it had loaded but they hadn’t closed the door.
We asked him to call and say we were
coming.
He took Rhonda’s bag number and
was going to see if he could transfer the bag directly to the Burlington
flight.
We took off on a run to a
different terminal and once we rounded the corner a lady hollered to see if we were
going to Burlington?
We said “yes” and
they sent us on the plane.
Last row next
to the bathroom but we made it on!
No
hurry to get off anyway as we needed to wait for the checked baggage.
We waited and waited but no bag ever
arrived.
We finally called
the car park place and the shuttle came and returned us to our car.
We arrived in Sharon about 1:30am.
Missing a bag but we were back!
That was an answer to prayer as we didn’t
think we would be able to make it for all three transfers in one day going
against the clock and especially without good reservations or even a good
planned itinerary.
 |
| This end of the Residence is our office |
WEDNESDAY -
After a short night we went to work 9:00am to open up. We had a few tours which was nice again. We stayed all day as Osborne’s were trying to
move some of their things into the Memorial Residence as they had been asked by the
Mission President to be the acting director while the Johnson’s were gone on
Medical leave. They are gone
indefinitely. Once we left the Center,
we just went home and took it easy.
THURSDAY We opened up again. Today, I gave the tours while Rhonda brought
her Sargent Steamer and helped Osborns clean some drawers and the bathrooms
which were in great need. They hardly
had any place to put things, even in the guest bedroom. I took clothes so we could change quickly for the drive to Burlington
to get Rhonda’s bag but found out it was still in New York. So, we went back to the apt. and found some
food and mainly just relaxed. I stayed
up to watch a BYU basketball game that started at 9:00pm. At the conclusion, it was past time to go to
bed.
 |
| We stayed in the Residence home starting Saturday |
FRIDAY We opened up again and stayed the whole day
as Osborns asked us to watch the place while they went with Dyches down to
check out the Brigham Young marker in Wilmington, VT. They went in the FM truck as it is out of our
mission boundaries. We started quickly
with visitors but it ground to a halt as the day wore on. Elder Johnson kept calling trying to talk to
the Obsorns. He seemed stressed that
we were here all day but it wasn’t that bad as far as we were concerned.
SATURDAY - An
hour after opening, the Osborns were off to the airport and off to Utah. The mission president asked them to go the
the Visitor Center Director training in case the Johnson’s don’t get back. I guess we are the assistant to the interim
director. They wanted us to stay in the
house on site for added protection for the premises. It has
rained most of the day, quite steady. I
wonder what the ground would look like if it had all been snow? At the end of the day we had to make a quick
trip to Lebanon for gas and a few essential groceries. (gas is 20-25 cents cheaper per gallon in
NH) We then stopped at the apartment to
gather a few things to “move” to the Memorial for a few days. Things are OK but it is a little different
feeling taking charge of other people’s house, especially on a fill in for the
fill in basis. Watched the BYU game on
TV, saw Rhett doing my stats job.