Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Back to our Apartment, Again

January 19-25


Simon-Pearce Glass Blowing Factory
SUNDAY   -  We had the day off from the monument so about all we accomplished was to attend Church.  I did watch them clean up a wreck on the highway just in front of our apartment. I heard the crash while lying on the bed before I was ready to get up.  We had a nice dinner (pork chops) and then just relaxed the rest of the day.
I knitted this scarf for one of the FHE ladies
MONDAY    While I was putting the flag out this morning the first visitor came.  The guy was a history/religion professor at a Jr. College on Long Island, NY.  I thought it was a good tour.  The guy asked lots of questions and was happy to take a Book of Mormon.  They said they would read it.  As he left he said he would tell his member friend about his visit and I said that he was going to read the Book of Mormon.  He said, not just The Book of Mormon, but a copy from Joseph Smith’s birthplace!  We had a small change in the schedule so after the morning, we went back to the apartment for a while and then had to go back to the Memorial for Family Home Evening. I think this is the first FHE I haven’t been in a suit.  After we did the dishes, we returned back to the apartment.  I watched some good tennis matches while Rhonda cleaned a chair and mattress for the Shefchiks with her steamer. 
TUESDAY      It is getting quite cold outside now, snow, etc predicted along with colder temps.  We had to go to the Memorial ½ hour early on Tuesday (every Tuesday from now on) as Elder Osborn is starting a weekly training meeting with all the missionaries.  After the meeting, we spent most of the afternoon researching/talking about different dates and scenarios concerning the visitor center booklet and the visitor center diorama.  It turned out to be an interesting and beneficial afternoon.  

WEDNESDAY   Today was our  l o n g  day for the week.  We opened and closed so the Osborns could have a day off.  Since we are now a couple short, we will do this procedure for a couple months until we can get back to a full complement of missionary couples.  We even had a few visitors making the day more interesting and making the time pass a little quicker.  
Looking out from the Simon-Pearce Factory window

THURSDAY  Today was pay back, our day off.  We didn’t get a lot accomplished early in the day but finally got the apartment cleaned up a little, Rhonda did some washing, etc.  In the afternoon we drove to Quechee and visited the Simon-Pierce glass blowing factory.  It was really an interesting thing to watch them do their trade and to try to make them as identical as possible.  You could see a covered bridge out the window of their factory as well as it being right on the River.  There was a waterfall right outside the factory and with the weather being so cold, there were a lot of neat looking ice formations where the water mist would freeze creating various designs.  I could have spent more time looking around but time dictated we move on.  From there, we drove on to W. Lebanon to do some grocery shopping, etc.  It seems like we can always use more food even though I am gaining too much weight.   
FRIDAY   We worked the afternoon shift today.  We didn’t have any visitors as I assume it is too COLD for people to be out and about..  High temperatures now are between 12 -15 degrees.  With no visitors, I worked more on taxes.   At  the end of the shift we hurried to lock up so we could meet the Osborns in Lebanon to go out to dinner to  a new Mexican Restaurant.   (Margarita’s)  It was a nice place and the food was OK but I guess I am still partial to Mi Ranchito in AF.  Had to pick up a few more groceries and then home.  Work on more tax stuff for a while before giving in to the sports on TV.  
SATURDAY    Early shift today and we even had a couple of visitors for a change.  Not being really rushed, I worked on more tax stuff.  I find it harder to do with some of my records, etc. in Utah and me in VT.  Sister Dyches brought me a Maple walking stick from the trees lining the road to the Memorial.  I spent an hour trying to get the bark off the last part of the shift.  Once we were home and had some lunch, I went back to working on the stick.  I finally gave up trying to confine the shavings and soon had them all over the floor.  After a few more hours, several cuts and band-aids to help control the bleeding from the knife slips, I finally had it about done.  Then it proved no small task to get the floor cleaned up as well.  In between times of working on the stick, I watched BYU women’s basketball and men’s volleyball and basketball (late, late at night.  Rhonda made some delicious rice pudding and I surely over-did a good thing but it sure was good!
 
Washing the car at 10 degrees..... (yes a little crazy)


I was worried that his feet would totally freeze!

No comments:

Post a Comment