May 5 - 11
 |
| The FM Missionaries are still working to get the Christmas Lights down |
MONDAY
I got up early this morning and left Rhonda
home while I went golfing with Elder Osborn.
We went to the Montague course in Randolph but it wasn’t the best.
All temporary greens as all the regular ones
had frozen and were all dead brown grass.
The fairways also needed a little warm weather to start to grow but it
was at least a time to get out.
(I did hit the ball quite well for
not having been out only 1 time since last
July.)
I hurried home and got ready for
our afternoon shift at the Memorial.
Several visitors came before the start of FHE which is now delayed an
hour until 6:00pm and the Memorial is open until 7:00.
TUESDAY I woke up earlier than usual, so I ended up
taking a walk, doing some extra reading, etc., waiting for our shift at the
Memorial which is now 2:00pm. By closing
time at 7:00pm it seemed like a long day.
I did meet with a couple from NY which was quite interesting. The man had a little knowledge about Joseph
Smith and the lady had “diarrhea of the mouth”. She couldn’t quick talking. Rhonda started with them but soon passed them
along. When I was trying to talk about
Joseph Smith the lady mentioned something about a metal book. I explained about the golden plates and how
they were translated by Joseph Smith to become the Book of Mormon. She immediately said she had that book. Every time I would try to talk, she was
talking, finally her husband told her to “just listen to the man”. When I tried to tell Rhonda about my
experience, my answer was, “I got four works in”
 |
| Sis. Sumsion and comp. with investigator from Maine |
WEDNESDAY We opened up this morning and when we walked
into the office area, it was mostly cordoned off with plastic. Several workmen were working in a corner of
the office, sawing, drilling and mainly making a great noise. The phone kept ringing and it really seemed
like a circus trying to get things accomplished. Luckily, when visitors came, they weren’t yet
working in the visitor center but will eventually get there. The high water is rotting the floor joist and
they are not holding on to the foundations.
One interesting thing happened as
a couple of the groups met at the Monument from the same ward. One of the men, who used to be a missionary
at the Monument, told me he heard Pres. Hinckley say JOSEPH SMITH’S BIRTHPLACE
IS THE SECOND MOST SACRED SPOT ON EARTH, -- SECOND ONLY TO BETHLEHEM. If it were not for Joseph Smith, there would
be no Palmyra, Kirtland, or even Salt Lake.
 |
| It was fun to see Sis. Sumsion again. |
Things seemed to get really busy for a while as several of us were
conducting tours at the same time.
Rhonda had to come back to the Church to practice with the YW in the evening
so we decided to take a “tour” on our way home.
We took the back roads past the Memorial through the woods, finally
ending up in Tunbridge. From there we
took another side road and ended up going through Bethel and located the high
school where we will be going for the Vermont Post-card Fair in about 10
days.
THURSDAY I got up early and went for a walk. When I returned, Rhonda was still asleep so I
went back to bed for a while. It was
such a nice day, we ended up taking our folding chairs outside to do our Book
of Mormon reading. We finally ended up
going shopping in the afternoon. We
really didn’t need much but a few things.
Found a deal on soda and ended up taking my diamond ring (dating back to 1969) to the jewelry story to have it re-sized to a
size 14. We spent part of the
night packing our suit cases in hopes of taking a short trip to Florida
tomorrow afternoon.
FRIDAY We switched our workday with the Likes so we
did the
morning shift.
In the afternoon, we had a training with Jason Mitchell from SLC and the
Church Missionary committee. Pres. Stoker
was also here. The training wasn’t too intense and about
2:40pm Pres. Stoker ask to be excused as he had a meeting in NH at 4:00pm. We left right behind him-- rushed to Burlington, parked the car and
went directly to the airport. Shortly
before the scheduled flight time, Randy called and said the plane was delayed a
couple of hours. There was a long line
of people at the desk, all with questions and trying to change flights,
etc. Finally I told Rhonda I was
leaving and not waiting for the plane.
She wasn’t too happy about my decision but what could she do. I decided that we could be back to the
Memorial for the monthly Sr. Missionary party.
We were only a half hour late and got there right after the
blessing. Harman’s were the hosts and
they had brought some Kobe beef steaks and Idaho potatoes back from their trip
to Utah. They did a BBQ and also had
fresh Salmon BBQ’d. I think it was the
best Salmon I have ever eaten. I was
glad we went. After eating, we soon
excused ourselves and went to the apt. to look at other flight possibilities on
getting to Florida. About 11:00pm I
finally decided upon my best alternatives, listed for the flights, printed our
boarding passes and went to bed. It was
a couple hours before Rhonda supposedly came to bed.
SATURDAY
We got up at 3:00am to start our day.
Shower, shave, etc. we headed off
for the Burlington airport again. Parked
back at Thrifty rental cars and shuttled to the airport. We ended up getting first class seats from
Burlington to NY-Laguardia. After about
an hour wait, we got seats to Orlando and soon headed through the skies on our
way. We had three seats for the two of
us so we flew in great shape. Once in FL
our timing was almost perfect as Ryan
was there about the same time as we got out to the loading area. It was great to see him. We made a couple stops on the way to Ryan’s
home as he was looking for a Mother’s Day gift but without success. Upon our arrival, all the boys came running to give us a BIG hug. We were amazed to see how much Ty has grown (not a toddler any more). 
It was so nice to see them again. Rochele had lunch ready for us and things
were going great. After a short visit we
all headed to Chace’s basketball game.
His team lost by two points but Chace did really good. Back at the house, Ryan ask for some help
re-setting his toilet. We found the
flange was broken so it was a trip to Hope Depot to get some additional parts. Before doing any more on the toilet, it was
time to go to dinner. We ended up going
to Chili’s (I think it was my doings we went there). Rhonda and I thought we were taking the
family out but somehow Ryan paid the bill over some type of internet gizmo that was
at the table without us even knowing it.
Just another sign, I am not up to speed with modern technology. After returning home, we got out to put the kids to bed while Ryan
took Rochele Mother’s day shopping at the mall.
Soon thereafter, I was to bed.
SUNDAY I didn’t know anything
until I heard Ryan talking downstairs. I
looked at the clock and it was 8:53am.
Church started at 10:00 so we hurried and got ready for Church. Ryan and the boys had made Mother’s Day
breakfast so we had to hurry. When
Church was out, Ryan had to do fast-offerings/tithing so we left him at the
Church. At that time, Chace and I
finished putting the toilet together and hooked it up, No leaks were detected. I then had a chance to look at flights to
get back to VT. Some options were better
than others. I choose the one which left
at 8:50am so as to have a couple of options in NY. After that, we just enjoyed being with the
kids, playing a few games, etc. It was
nice to have family prayer, etc. with Ryan and his family. I went to bed while Rhonda did a little more
visiting. We thoroughly have enjoyed this brief, marvelous visit with our family in Florida.
 |
| A little BBall fun with Chace & Cael |
 |
| Zac seemed to enjoy his go-cart |
No comments:
Post a Comment