Sunday, March 16, 2014

March Madness: MORE SNOW!

March 1-8, 2014

SATURDAY    We had our usual morning shift but it was so cold no one came to visit at the Memorial. The afternoon was cold also so I spent most of the time with the TV.  The BYU women were playing on TV and men on the radio so I kept switching back and forth trying to keep tabs on both.  After the BYU games, I took another walk and thankfully have nothing to report except some sore muscles. It was still cold but I needed to get out.  I did a little study for institute before the BYU Volleyball match started on TV again.  
Original doorstep and other ruins from the birthplace home are under snow.
SUNDAY     Today was fast Sunday but it really didn’t seem to be too fast.  As we were about to start Sacrament, the Bishop looked around and saw no one to lead the music so over the pulpit he asked Rhonda if she would come lead.  She quickly volunteered me to do it.  I went up and tried but they were singing quite a fast paced song and the young Johnson girl who was playing the organ only had one speed, needless to say, I was off beat the first measure.  We made it through.  When it came time for Priesthood, the Bishop ask, “Elder Osgood, would you come lead the music?”  I told him I answered to a lot of things but that was something new.  After church I started watching golf on TV.  It turned to be a really interesting finish as all the top of the leader board had a turn of hitting the ball in the water.  Later Bro. Harman came over with some chips and dip and Rhonda had just made fresh banana bread so we exchanged “goodies” and had a good visit.   
MONDAY     After a slow morning, we ended up taking a rush trip to W. Lebanon to get some potatoes.  We discovered we needed them for tomorrow’s dinner.   The afternoon shift proved to be pretty quiet except for one non-member who just happened to show up to see the Monument but didn’t want a tour but I gave her a brief 15 minutes anyway as she ask a few questions.  We had about the usual turnout for Family Home Evening.       
TUESDAY  A lot of the morning was spent getting ready for the afternoon.  We met

Sis. Harmon made Dawn's Birthday Cake
Sis. & Elder Mooney and Dawn
at the Memorial at noon for a dinner with the FM office personnel and all the missionaries.  We had a nice but simple lunch but it was good to meet some of the FM directors whom we hadn’t met before.  After they left, the afternoon was pretty quiet.  No visitors, as the weather is very cold.  We were to pick up Kelsey Preston for institute but got lost on the way.  The GPS didn’t seem to kick in until it was re-routing.  We back-tracked and finally got on the right road and made it with no minutes to spart before the scheduled starting time and were still the first ones there.  We ended up with 4 students in attendance, our largest class so far.  We ended up traveling both too and from Norwich Univ. in light snow and were glad to get home about 10:30pm.
WEDNESDAY   Today is our full-day shift.  It is still lightly snowing and cold.   Sister Talbot came with her kids to watch a movie for our only visitors for the day.    
THURSDAY   I guess we make up for lack of action today by having our day off.  We spent the morning trimming my hair, cleaning the apartment, washing, re-washing the car, etc. trying to get ready for another week.  We eventually got tired of cleaning and went shopping in NH in the late afternoon.    At Wendy’s the girl at the register knew how to make our drinks and then she showed us a new “key tag” for small frosty’s each time you come in until the end of August.   We had been sad since the ones we bought in Utah ran out at the end of the year.  We didn’t really need too many things but needed the outing as much as anything.  Once home, I watched some of the WCC Women’s conference tournament games as well as other men’s games on ESPN.   
FRIDAY     Did some additional cleaning, ironed shirts, and tried to straighten everything again to get ready for our “party” at night.   After our afternoon shift at the memorial, we hurried home and finished our candy popcorn, etc.  Soon all the Sr. Missionaries came for a night out.  We talked for a while, Rhonda showed “Only a Stone Cutter” DVD and then we had treats.  After that I tried to get everyone oriented to the rules of Crazy Rook.  After a practice hand, we had an interesting game.  At least it was a chance to “change the scenery” and we all had a good time.   The pictures are around our kitchen table with games and goodies.



SATURDAY     It seemed like a short night before our morning shift.  As soon as we got there, I cut Elder Osborn’s hair.  He must not have thought the last cut was too bad as it has only been two weeks.  Things were quiet so Rhonda went to the Church to get a little practice on the organ.  We did have some excitement at the Memorial.  Sister Tarawhiti (who was just transferred from here) brought some investigators from near Boston as well as more missionaries from a couple hours away brought a group of 20 people.  Osborn’s decided that since they had to drive from so far they would have a “sandwich lunch” for them.  We were also invited to lunch which was nice for a change.  We left Osborn’s with the last group to see a movie and went back to the apartment where there were lots of basketball games going on so I was well contented.

No comments:

Post a Comment